The artist contributions for Bristol Light Festival 2024, which is set to illuminate Bristol city centre for 10 days in February is now closed.
We have an open call for expression of interest to showcase at the 2024 festival. Designers, architects, light artists – as well as students and institutions – are invited to submit expressions of interest for projects or ideas that are engaging to all age groups. We are interested in:
- Existing works or new ideas exploring light.
- Projects which use technology in innovative ways to encourage play and exploration.
- Sustainable light art which uses Green Energy solutions.
- Hearing from artists who have a relationship to Bristol.
We are looking for artworks that are:
- Suitable for outdoor winter light festivals.
- Artistically challenging/interesting and of high quality.
- Structurally resilient enough to withstand the winter weather.
- Considered accessible for all.
We’re particularly interested to see applications that consider:
- Environmental sustainability in their design and embody best practice in their delivery.
- Design artworks for reuse – materials/equipment – building onto what happens at the end of the festival.
- Encouraging novel and artistically ambitious ideas.
- Are playful, interactive and engaging for a wide audience
The deadline for submissions has now passed
Selection Process and Criteria
The expressions of interest application review process will be conducted by the Bristol Light Festival team. We will notify all applicants the outcome of the review. As Bristol Light Festival is a small team we are unable to provide individual feedback on unsuccessful applications. Shortlisted artists will be invited to expand on their plans as part of an informal interview to get to know your work, plans and ambitions better.
- Call out opens: 5 July 2023
- Application submission deadline: 28 July 2023 at midnight
- Shortlisting deadline: 18 August 2023
- Conversations with artists commencing 25 August 2023
- Site visits & Pre-Production: September – November 2023
- Bristol Light Festival: 2-11 February 2024*
* This event is subject to licensing and site permissions approval.